It was gathered that many of the terrorists were moving out of their Sambisa haven which has received continuous pounding from the air as a result of airforce reconnaissance flight that exposed their hideouts.
A statement by the Acting Director of Public Relations, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman noted that the action of the terrorists, meant to escape collateral damage, was due to the new offensive strategies put in place for ‘Operation Lafiya Dole’ by the military high command.
According to the statement, “the new strategies being employed by the military have started yielding positive results with scores of terrorists surrendering to troops and many more willing to surrender.
“The strategies employed included sustained offensive operations, pre-emptive air strikes by the Nigerian Airforce and routes blocked by ground troops, all geared towards constricting and snuffing out the Boko Haram terrorists.
“Many of the terrorists that willingly surrendered, painted images of mass panic and hysteria among their erstwhile colleagues who are feeling the noose tightening on their necks with the relentless efforts of troops and renewed vigour in operations inspired by the personal leadership of the Chief of Army Staff.
“Terrorists also seem to have an inkling of what happens to surrendered suspects as regards screening and de-radicalization of innocent ones among them.”
Continuing, he said: “The Nigerian Army in conjunction with the Nigerian Air force and other security agencies will continue to devise and implement effective strategies to bring Boko Haram terrorism to a speedy end.
“It will also continue to receive surrendering suspects and assures innocent ones among them that surrender is the only option open to them. The Nigerian Army wishes to also appreciate the great support and information it receives from well-meaning citizens. More of these are required to help towards quicker obliteration of the Boko Haram scourge in our nation.”
Suspected Boko Haram terrorists on Friday detonated a bomb at Maikohi Camp – Nigeria’s largest Internally Displaced Camps (IDPs) – located in Yola, the capital of Adamawa State.
The attack killed seven people and injured 20, the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, said.
“Among the injured seven (7) were treated and discharged while thirteen (13) persons including four (4) NEMA officials are still at FMC Yola,” NEMA said in a Twitter post.
Witnesses said the bomb was planted inside a tent near the major warehouse of the camp where 200 displaced persons who had just arrived from Madagali Local Government of Borno State, had been camped.
The bomb exploded at about 10:30am, causing panic as some of the refugees fled the camp, our reporter said.
Sources at the hospital however said the death toll had risen to 10.
While condemning the attack, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar said in a statement posted on his Facebook page that “Many people I know were working as volunteers in the camp, including staff and students of AUN, who sustained minor injuries in today’s blast.
“Today’s attack is an attempt to break the spirits of the people who came to seek refuge. The perpetrators will know no peace.
“We refuse to be broken. We will win the war against terrorism. We shall overcome!” he said.
A statement signed by Acting Director Army Public Relations, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman said the terrorists were arrested between Depchi and Geidam, in Geidam Local Government Area of Yobe State
The statement added that the arrested persons were also engaged in the supply of fuel in addition to hard drugs such as Cannabis (Indian Hemp), Chlorofone substance (AKA Madaran suck and die) and Tramol, amongst others.
According to the statement, “sometimes ago we reported that ironically most of the Boko Haram terrorists captured by Nigerian military cannot read the Holy Qur’an, some of them cannot even recite the first chapter- Suratuh Al-Fatiha and yet they claimed they wanted to establish an ‘Islamic State’.
“When the Nigerian military captured their bases and training camps, they never found Qur’an or other Islamic books, what were mostly found were ammunitions, local charms, condoms and all sort of drugs including sex enhancing ones in their enclaves.
The arrest of these drug suppliers has reinforced that fact, more so as they have been making very useful statements.
According to Vanguard, This information was disclosed by Senator Shehu Sani who said “they are alive”. Senator Sani, who has been deeply involved in negotiations with Boko Haram and the Nigerian government in bids to rescue the girls and end terrorism in Nigeria, told Sunday Vanguard in an exclusive interview that he was certain the over 200 girls were alive and urged President Muhammadu Buhari to make efforts to rescue them before taking further steps to end insurgency.
The senator, who represents Kaduna Central in the National Assembly,
said his optimism that the girls were alive stemmed from the fact that Boko Haram would have promptly celebrated their killing with an announcement as it does not waste time in telling the world who it has killed or not.
Sani said: “I have the belief they are alive because if they were not, certainly, the group in their own criminality and violence, would have announced that they had killed them.
“Dont forget they have been very honest in the past in telling the world who they have killed or not.”If they are not alive, certainly, we would have known but they are actually alive and I believe it is an issue which the government needs to thrash out before we go into the final phase of ending insurgency in the Northeast”.
The lawmaker who has been an activist before coming to the senate, has been involved in three previous failed bids to broker peace between the group and the federal government.
He said that the disagreement between the Federal Government and Boko Haram on the release of the latter’s commanders from prison, was often responsible for the collapse of such bids.
“A number of things went wrong with previous efforts to broker peace between Boko Haram and the Federal Government”, Sani contended.
“First, some of the demands made by Boko Haram were such that the government was not ready and willing to oblige.
“The group has always insisted that it is willing to agree to peace provided its members are released by the government. But the government had never been ready to do that. That has been the sticking point where all previous negotiations had always crashed.
“So, if the government says it is ready for negotiation, it should also be ready to concede certain things in the interest of peace”, he maintained.
But reminded that the government claims that it could not negotiate with phantom groups or individuals, Sani said that the announcement of intent by the government to dialogue with the group was not the same as taking steps to actualise its desire.
To start with, the Senator suggested the setting up of a special technical committee by the government with a waiver to suspend anti-terrorism laws and make it possible for genuine discussion to be begin with the group.
He pointed out that since there were laws that made it a crime for anyone to communicate or be identified with Boko Haram, it would not be possible for persons who could assist to come forward for fear of being arrested and prosecuted for aiding and abetting terrorism.
Sani said that although the government had in the past fallen victim to fake groups in the course of trying to broker a ceasefire with Boko Haram and lost millions of Naira in the process, he disclosed that he had made at least three genuine attempts to bring about peace with the sect and the government.
“There is no doubt that there have been times in which the Federal Government actually engaged in discussions with phantom groups and individuals but there are also times where the negotiations were very credible.
“In 2011, I was able to facilitate a dialogue between the group and the Federal Government when I brought in the former President, Obasanjo, to talk to the families of the insurgents and another one, which was with the President of the Supreme Council of Sharia, Dr. Ahmed Datti, where he represented the Boko Haram group, which came out openly to announce him as their representative”, he revealed.
To bring the saga to an end, Sani suggested that the government should involve a Nigerian journalist, Ahmad Salkida, who now lives in Dubai, in any discussion with Boko Haram, describing him as being very credible and crucial in such talks.
He said the journalist, who had been involved in one of the talks with the government and the sect, had risked his life to broker peace with the group out of sheer patriotism for Nigeria and nothing more.
Sani said he would also be ready to work with other stakeholders to see how to bring about genuine negotiations with the group and government with a view to ensuring the release of the girls, if given the authority by the government to do so.
“I cannot do it alone but it has to be a teamwork approach with others like clerics, elders and people who have something to offer in the peace process,” the senator said.
Presiding judge, Justice Adeniyi Ademola found Kabiru guilty of also having prior knowledge of the bomb attack at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church on December 25th 2011.
Our Correspondent learnt that the incident took place on Thursday when traders and buyers were busy observing their market day in Kirawa.
This is coming barely two days when suspected group of insurgents laid siege on Kolori and Ba’ana Imam villages of Damboa local government area killing 23 residents with injuring of many others.
Kirawa, a mountainous and remote area which is located east of troubled Gwoza destroyed town and shares international border with francophone speaking communities of Cameroon Republic.
Sources told our Correspondent that the insurgents who were armed with sophisticated weapons including AK47 rifles and petrol bombs invaded Kirawa on their market day and wrecked havoc living 53 people dead with over 100 injured.
” 53 of our people were shot dead with over 100 injured when a group of terrorists invaded our market square. The market always attracted Cameroonian traders and customers.
” 24 hours after the deadly attack on our market, two female suicide bombers who attempted to detonated their Improvised Explosive Devices strapped on their bodies were arrested by combine team of residents and youth vigilante on Friday after Juma’at prayers”. Said an Elder in Kirawa who did not want his name mentioned in the print for security reasons.
Another source who also hail from Kirawa but reside in Maiduguri, the state capital told our Correspondent that he received a distress call from one of his fleeing family members who crossed over to Cameroon Republic after the attack left scores of people in Kirawa dead and injured after setting ablaze many shops and houses, with looting of foodstuff and live stocks belonging to the armless residents.
” One of my family member from Kirawa called me on Friday evening that our community have been under deadly attack by insurgents, they had to flee to Cameroon before they get access to telecommunication services as most of the telecom masts in kirawa and other communities Behring mountains (Bayan Dutse) were destroyed last year by terrorists”. Mallam Ali Musa Kirawa, a resident of Maiduguri told our Correspondent.
All effort to get confirmation from the Police Commissioner, Mr. Aderemi Opadokun proves abortive as his cell phone was not reachable at press time
Deputy Director Army Public Relations and spokesman, 7 Division Nigerian Army, Maiduguri, Colonel Tukur Gusau said the over 2,000 cartons of smoked fishes and dried meat, were confiscated from Boko Haram from different communities in Borno.
“The 7 Division Nigerian Army has apprehended several cartons of dried fish from suspected Boko Haram terrorists in various locations in Borno State. The cartons of the dried fish are believed to be seized from innocent fishermen and business men by the terrorists who later sell them at ridiculous mount to finance their terrorists’ activities,” he said yesterday in Maiduguri while burning the fishes.
Gusau said the ongoing military operations in the northeast have crippled the activities of Boko Haram, adding that the operation has compelled the insurgents to resort to using donkeys and other unusual tactics to attack some remote communities.
“We have crippled their channels of supply both of fuel, logistics and everything and they’re now in disarray. That is why they resorted to using donkeys to carry out attacks,” he disclosed on Friday during the burning of over 2, 000 cartons of smoked fishes and dried beef confiscated from Boko Haram.
He solicited for the support of members of the public for useful information that could assist in ending insurgency in the country.
“By burning of this fishes, we’re sending strong message to the insurgents to change their terror act because an end is at sight. We’re determined with the support of patriotic Nigerians to end Boko Haram and other terror acts in the country,” he added.
Recently, it was reported that some Boko Haram members were arrested (Read News Here).
It said: “He claimed that the said Isa Ali has links to the leader of the Boko Haram sect, Abubakar Shekau, from where he collects funds for operations undertaken by their Markaz. Also, he revealed that he had participated in several Boko Haram attacks, including the attacks at Gwoza Divisional Police Station in 2014.
“Shuaibu admitted being the leader of the team of nine sect members that was dispatched from Sambisa Forest to carry out the attacks. He disclosed that four out of the nine members were used as suicide bombers.
“Another suspect, Ahmed Mohammed, who is an improvised explosives devices, IEDs, expert, confessed to the preparation of the IEDs used for the attacks. He also averred that he (Abubakar) was the one who strapped the suicide bombers, notably Sule and his wives, with IED vests, which they used in the attacks in Jos.
“Adamu Abdullahi has confessed that Usman Shuaibu motivated him to work closely with Mohammed in the preparation of the IEDs used in the attacks under reference.”
Ibrahim Isa, DSS said, confessed that he was the one who carried out reconnaissance on the targets in Jos ahead of the attacks.
Muttaqa Yusuf, in his confession, disclosed that one Aliyu, believed to be Aliyu Gombe, in Sambisa Forest, was the one that ordered the serial attacks which the syndicate carried out. He further confessed that he assisted Usman Shuaibu in planning and executing the said attacks.
DSS, in a statement by Tony Opuiyo, said a number of the terrorists were also arrested in Lagos, Kano, Plateau, Enugu and Gombe states, following re-strategized counter-terrorism measures deployed to combat the menace of insurgency in Nigeria.
DSS noted that the group’s new pattern of movement and spread is necessitated by the pressure being put on them in their core areas of strength in the North-East.
The services gave the names of masterminds of suicide attacks in Potiskum, Kano, Zaria and Jos, currently in its custody to include, Usman Shuaibu, alias Money; Ahmed Mohammed, alias Abubakar; Adamu Abdullahi, alias Babpa; Ibrahim Isa, alias Mohammed Sani, and Muttaqa Yusuf, alias Mudtaka.
Arrest in Lagos
Other terrorists suspects arrested by the service include Bakura Modu, arrested on July 20 at Kara, Isheri Berger, Ikeja LGA, Lagos State; Mustapha Alli Jamneri, arrested on July 24, at Gowon Estate, Egbeda, Alimosho LGA, Lagos State; and Abuyi Sherriff, arrested on August 7, at Ebute-Meta, Lagos Mainland LGA, Lagos State.
Others are Babagana Ali and Babagana Koloye, who were arrested on August 7, at Eric Moore, Bode Thomas Street, Surulere LGA, Lagos State; Abba Modu Sagma, arrested on August 9, at Ijora Badiya, Apapa LGA, Lagos State.
Grema Abubakar and Tijani Bagudu were arrested on August 10, at Amukoko, Ijora Badiya, Apapa LGA, Lagos State; and Baba Alhaji and Abass Ibrahim, arrested earlier on the same day, at Alaba International Market, Alaba, Ojo LGA, Lagos State.